Preparing a child for tooth extraction can be difficult, and for understandable reasons. Little ones are naturally worried about the procedure, and that concern carries over to their parents as well. Every parent wants to make sure their child is in the very best of care when there’s a need for a tooth to be pulled.
It may seem easier just to ignore the issue, yet avoiding making a tooth extraction appointment for your child due to their apprehension is not the right choice. The stakes are too high to let the issue drag on without your child receiving proper care. In a study by the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, Dr. W. Ed Gonzalez said “If children’s teeth are in shape, they will perform better in a classroom. Without healthy teeth, students might be in pain from cavities, which could distract them from their studies.” This is just one of the many possible issues that could arise from ignoring a needed tooth extraction.
Choosing the best dentist could make all the difference of whether your child will have a smooth and worry-free experience or not. Choose wisely, and your child will return home happy. Choose poorly, and your child may deal with a fear of dentists for years to come. Your choice should be made with thought and care.
So, how does a parent go about choosing the right pediatric dentist? Children’s Dentistry, the leading tooth extraction dentist in Las Vegas, has compiled a short list to help make your decision easier.
1. Choose a Pediatric Dentist that Offers Sedation Dentistry
One of the best ways to ensure that your child will have a smooth experience at the dentist is by choosing a pediatric dentist that specializes in sedation dentistry. Why is this important? Because ensuring your child can relax in the chair during their tooth extraction is the first and most important issue that should be addressed.
When choosing a tooth extraction dentist in Las Vegas, consider finding a practice that is able to offer sedation in several different forms. Each child is different, and there should be several specialized options available to make your child’s tooth extraction a success.
Children’s Dentistry offers several different types of sedation, including:
- Nitrous oxide: Often called “laughing gas,” it is the safest form of sedation available for children. It is inhaled through a mask and allows your child to relax while remaining conscious. This will allow the dentist to perform the extraction safely. The effects of laughing gas wear off quickly, and your child will go home with little to no after-effects from sedation.
- Oral/ IV medications: These types of sedation techniques also allow the child to remain conscious while giving them an overall calm during the extraction. This higher level of sedation compared to nitrous oxide will leave your child with very little to no overall memory of the extraction.
- General anesthesia: Children’s Dentistry is able to offer general anesthesia thanks to our partnership with the Sun Valley Surgery Center. General anesthesia will render a child unable to respond to voices or touch, giving them total peace. When considering a tooth extraction dentist in Las Vegas, this option may be the most desirable.
2.Choose a Pediatric Dentist Who Offers Many Services
There are many pediatric dentists able to perform a tooth extraction, but who are otherwise ill-prepared to care for your child’s overall oral health. There are occasions that tooth extractions may be avoidable. Even if they are unavoidable, they should be performed with an overarching plan to improve your child’s oral wellness. Simply put, a tooth extraction dentist in Las Vegas should be able to provide you with an overall picture of how your child’s smile will improve under their care.
Children’s Dentistry in the greater Las Vegas area offers a wide array of services that can either help you avoid tooth extraction or assist with improving your child’s oral health once the tooth has been pulled. They include:
- Preventative dental services: Regular cleanings, fluoride treatments, and sealings can keep the need for a tooth extraction at bay.
- Tooth-colored fillings: Some teeth do not need to be extracted, but simply need a filling. With composite fillings, your child can say goodbye to the silver fillings of the past that might be noticeable and even embarrassing for children.
- Orthodontist services: In the event that your child does need a tooth extraction, having a tooth extraction dentist in Las Vegas who can also offer orthodontic service at the same office is convenient.
3.Choose A Pediatric Dentist Who Has Several Convenient Locations
When both children and parents have busy schedules, finding a way to sync your calendar with a pediatric dentist can be difficult. You may have to wait weeks for a tooth extraction, which could be extremely painful and distracting to your child. As your child waits for their appointment, the pain will likely cause them to struggle in school, sports, and other extracurricular activities. This just isn’t acceptable.
When considering a tooth extraction dentist in Las Vegas, you can’t go wrong with the 10 convenient locations Children’s Dentistry has to offer in the metro area. With so many offices, we’ll be able to help your child quickly. We have kid-friendly offices in:
- North Las Vegas
- Las Vegas
- East Las Vegas
- Whitney Ranch
- Civic Center
- Boulder City
You can see why there are so many reasons Children’s Dentistry is the best tooth extraction dentist in Las Vegas for your child. Contact us today to schedule an appointment. Our offices accept most dental insurance plans, including Liberty Dental and Medicaid. Let us help your child ensure that getting their tooth pulled won’t be a traumatic event.